October • November
Days To Celebrate (October):
• Breast Cancer Awareness Month
• 3rd: Techies Day
• 4th: Taco Day
• 5th: Do Something Nice Day
• 8th: Columbus Day
• 14th: Dessert Day
• 15th: I Love Lucy Day
• 18th: Get to Know Your Customers (Residents) Day
• 24th: United Nations Day
• 31st: Halloween
Days To Celebrate (November):
• National Family Caregivers Month
• 8th: Parents as Teachers Day
• 11th: Veterans Day ~ Residents Tell Their Military Stories
• 13th: World Kindness Day
• 21st: Juke Box Day ~ Have 1950’s Party
• 22nd: Thanksgiving Day
• 24th: National Day of Listening ~ Listen to Residents’ Stories
• 25th: Parfait Day
• 28th: Rockefeller Center Tree Lighting
• 29th: Electronic Greetings Day ~ Send Messages to Families with Remy®
• Tell us about your favorite costume! Do you dress up for Halloween? What will you be this year?
• What is your favorite candy?
• Do you like scary movies? What is your favorite?
• Did your family have any special Halloween traditions? (i.e. Haunted Houses/Hay Rides, unique decorations, etc.)
• Did you trick-or-treat? Tell me your most fond memory of doing this.
• Do you decorate and carve pumpkins every year? What is your favorite design?
• Tell us about your Thanksgiving family traditions. How did your family celebrate?
• Did you have Thanksgiving in the same place every year? Or did you travel?
• Do you have a big family? Tell us more about them.
• Is watching football a Thanksgiving tradition?
• What is your favorite part about Thanksgiving?
• What will you be most thankful for this Thanksgiving?
• What’s been the happiest moment of your life so far?
• What are the most important lessons you’ve learned in life?
• If your great great grandchildren watch this video years from now, is there any wisdom you’d want to share with them? What would you want them to know?
• If you could honor one person in your life–living or dead–by listening to their story, who would that be? What would you ask them and why?
• What is your favorite part about fall?
• Have you ever lived in a town where the leaves change?
• Is autumn your favorite season? If so, why?
• Would you rather go out for a walk during fall, or stay inside?
• Do you have a special book for indoor reading on chilly autumn days?
Learn About Your Residents:
• How old are you?
• Do you have any siblings? How many?
• Tell me about your parents.
• Are you or have you ever been married? Tell me about your spouse.
• Do you have any children? How many? What are their names?
• Did you serve in the military? What branch? For how long?
• Where were you born? Were you raised there too?
• What is your fondest memory as a child or an adult?
• Did you take vacations with your children? Where? Favorite spot?
• What do you feel is your greatest accomplishment so far in life?
• What advice would you give newlyweds? New parents?
• What is the best advice you’ve ever been given?
Food and Recipes:
• Do you have a secret family recipe?
• What is your favorite and least favorite food at Thanksgiving?
• Did you serve any unique foods?
• What is your favorite dessert? Pumpkin Pie? Pecan Pie?
• What is the best advice you’ve ever given your children/grandchildren?
• What is an important lesson you learned from your parents?
• Is there any advice you’d like to pass on to future generations of your family?
• Were you a strict parent? How so?
• What is your favorite part about being a parent or grandparent?
• What advice would you give your forty-year-old self?
• Looking back at your life thus far, what are you most proud of?