March • April
Days To Celebrate (March):
• 2nd: Old Stuff Day
• 3rd: Be Happy Day
• 5th: Mardi Gras Day
• 6th: Ash Wednesday
• 6th: Oreo Cookie Day
• 17th: St. Patrick’s Day
• 20th: Ravioli Day
• 20th: First Day of Spring
• 29th: Vietnam War Veteran Day
• 30th: Walk in the Park Day
• 31st: Prom Day (Activity idea: schedule a “senior prom” for your residents)
Days To Celebrate (April):
• 1st: April Fool’s Day
• 6th: Love Our Children Day
• 9th: Cherish an Antique Day
• 10th: Siblings Day
• 11th: Pet Day
• 12th: Grilled Cheese Sandwich Day
• 18th: High Five Day
• 21st: Easter Day
• 28th: Super Hero Day
• 30th: Hairstylist Day
• Have residents say “Let the good times roll!” or “Laissez les bon temps rouler!”.
• Have you ever been to a Mardi Gras parade?
• Does your hometown celebrate Mardi Gras?
• Tell me your favorite Mardi Gras memory.
• Have you ever ridden in a Mardi Gras parade? Attended a Mardi Gras ball?
• Do you know where Mardi Gras started? (Answer: Mobile, Alabama)
• What is your favorite thing to catch at a parade? Moonpies, beads, cups, doubloons?
• Have you ever been to Carnival in Brazil? If so, tell us about it.
St. Patrick’s Day:
• Are you of Irish descent?
• What is the luckiest thing that’s happened to you?
• Did you celebrate St. Patrick’s Day growing up? What did you do?
• What is your favorite drink to have on St. Patrick’s Day?
• Have you ever seen a leprechaun?
• Do you know any Irish songs? Will you sing them?
• Do you think shamrocks bring luck to people?
• Have you ever been to a St. Patrick’s Day parade? Tell me about it!
• Tell me about your Easter traditions.
• Did the Easter Bunny frequent your house growing up?
• What is your favorite Easter memory?
• Did your children get Easter baskets?
• Did you ever participate in an Easter Egg hunt? Tell me about it.
• Why is Easter important to you?
• Tell me about some traditions in your family. When and how did they get started?
• Are there any classic family jokes, stories, or songs you can share?
• Where were your ancestors born?
• What are some of the jobs/careers held by past generations of your family?
• Of all the family members you have either known or heard stories about, who do you think lived the most interesting life? Why?
• What is your favorite family holiday season? Why?
Remembering School Dances:
• Did you attend school dances/proms/sock hops growing up? Tell me about it.
• Did you take dance lessons as a child? Are you a good dancer? Will you show us your moves?
• What is your most memorable moment from a school dance? Why?
• What was your favorite music/band/dance in high school?
• Were you ever crowned King/Queen of a dance?
Your Children and Siblings:
• Do you have children? How many? Age, gender?
• What are you children’s occupations?
• What is your goal as a parent?
• What does the word “family” mean to you?
• In what way have you influenced your children the most?
• How do you describe yourself as a parent?
• In what ways did your parents influence you the most?
• Do you have siblings? How many? Are they older or younger?
• How are your relationships with your siblings?
• Who are you closest to in your family?
Remembering Your Antiques:
• Did your family have any memorable antiques? Tell me about them.
• Do you have any family heirlooms? Can you show me?
• Have you passed down antiques to your family? What are they?
• What is your most prized possession? Why is it valuable to you?
• Have any of your antiques been lost through the years?
• Have you ever had any antiques appraised? How much did they appraise for?